A New Lease on Life

A little over five years ago, I said to myself, "Alvin Glorf, it's high time for you to shift your gears and gain a new lease on life." I said this to myself because I had lately noticed that my old lease on life, while still serviceable, was looking decidedly threadbare. Actually, it was never a particularly fashionable lease on life, even when it was brand new. It had been marked down when I purchased it, on sale, at less than half the regular price.

I knew, and I accepted, that if I was to gain a new lease on life, it would, unfortunately, be necessary to exchange my wife, Martha, and my two children, Harlan and Beatrice, for a new wife and new children. I figured that, when a man is faced with such a choice, a man must do what a man must do. Martha was reasonably understanding about the situation, but Harlan and Beatrice were somewhat perplexed. Still, it had to be done, so I did it. (To be perfectly honest, I never liked the children anyway.)

At ten o'clock on the morning of the day on which my new lease on life was scheduled to commence, I bid farewell to Martha, Harlan, and Beatrice, and cheerfully took delivery of a new wife, Ermintrude, and two new children, Casper and Heloise. All in all, it seemed a promising start for my new lease on life, and I was eager to begin. After I got to know them and they got to know me, we all settled into a pleasant condition of domestic happiness. With a new lease on life, and the new wife and new children that came with it, I became a new man.

Soon, I found that everything was going my way. My new lease on life brought a host of daily blessings. Ermintrude turned out to be a perfect wife. Casper and Heloise turned out to be perfect children. I turned out, much to my own surprise, to be both a perfect husband and a perfect father. Together, the four of us enjoyed a perfect life. (Which, I am compelled to say, was not always the case with Martha, Harlan, and Beatrice.)

Although things have gone swimmingly during the past five years, I do have doubts regarding the stability of my current setup. Yesterday, Ermintrude suddenly informed me that she and the children, having discussed it thoroughly, are now fully determined to gain a new lease on life for themselves, and she strongly implied that I would not be included. I was a bit taken aback by this revelation, but I probably should have seen it coming.

More from Michael Collins Morton

An Impartial Consideration of God, Offered in the Form of Eleven Questions and Eleven Answers

Artificial Intelligence Is an Enemy of Human Values

Israel and Palestine: A Bitter Conflict with Only One Morally Acceptable Solution

Ignatius Thrumbler Provides the Answers

An Unpublished Letter to The Guardian Regarding the Pandemic of Covid-19