An Explanation from the Chief Executive

My fellow citizens, I feel that I owe an explanation to you. In my humble capacity as your Chief Executive, duly sworn to uphold and preserve the highest principles, and formally pledged to defend your interests against all enemies, I believe it to be the least that I can do. The time has come for me to lay my cards on the table.

Many of you probably are aware that you now have less freedom than you had in the past. There is a reason for this, and it is a good reason: your government no longer trusts you. Because your government can no longer be certain that you will behave in the particular manner that it desires, it has taken firm, but completely reasonable and quite necessary, measures to keep all of you in line. As the old saying goes, "Too much freedom is bad for people."

During the long, glorious history of our great nation, elections have been held and administrations have changed, but the stealthy threat of freedom has remained, casting a vile shadow over our future. It has been discussed and debated endlessly, but nothing further was ever done. No leader has been willing to face the problem squarely and take the strong action that clearly must be taken. No leader has been willing to stand up and declare, openly and fearlessly, their unreserved opposition to the foul demon of freedom. No leader, until now, has been willing to take the actions that must be taken to save you from yourselves.

If you stop and think about it, as I have done, and as each of you also should do, I know that you will come to understand why I am taking away your freedom. How many of you were actually putting your freedom to full use? Not many, if the truth be known. You all have been much too busy doing other things. Many of you, perhaps even most of you, have been afraid to use your freedom, as any good citizen should be. Freedom can hold serious dangers for an honest citizenry. In time, most of you will find that living without freedom makes you feel more free.

When all is said and done, there is more to life than being free. Having a great deal of money, for example, is much better than having freedom. Will freedom buy you a new house, or a new car, or a new television, or even a new pair of shoes? No, my fellow citizens, freedom will not buy you any of those things. Will freedom bring you a beautiful wife or a handsome husband? The answer, my fellow citizens, is no. Will freedom make your children smarter or taller? Again, the answer is no. Will freedom make you feel younger or shield you from the wanton acts of evildoers? No, not at all. Will freedom get you a promotion at work? Not likely.

It finally comes down to one essential, unavoidable question, and it is a question that all citizens must ask themselves, if they truly wish to be good citizens. Will freedom enhance the quality of your life to anywhere near the same degree as something that can be purchased at a store? No, of course not. The question itself is foolish in the extreme. When you give it a bit of honest thought (a few seconds will suffice), you can readily see that so-called freedom has no measurable value at all.

Freedom always is more trouble than it is worth. Freedom causes people to be unhappy and restless. Freedom destroys the comfortable illusions that hold families together, and leads neighbors to view one another with envy and suspicion. Freedom makes citizens less willing to obey their rightful masters. Freedom makes things harder for leaders, and frequently prevents them from providing a proper degree of leadership. That is why, as your Chief Executive, I have taken it upon myself to do what must be done. I have begun the process of taking away your freedom.

This task will not be completed in a month, or even in a year, but however long it might take, I can promise you that our goal will be achieved. I know that I can rely on your assistance in this bold undertaking. With your help, and with the divine guidance of the Almighty, I vow that together we will succeed in removing the scourge of freedom from our beloved homeland. My fellow citizens, I can assure you that it is being done for your own good, and for the good of your children and your grandchildren. Someday, when your lives are no longer blighted and burdened by the curse of freedom, you will thank me.