A Conversation with Myself

ME: Hello, myself. Or should I say, "self that is mine"?

MYSELF: I think "myself" will do nicely.

ME: So, how are you?

MYSELF: Oh, I can't complain. How about you?

ME: Fine, thank you. What have you been doing lately?

MYSELF: Oh, a little bit of this and a little bit of that.

ME: Which would you say is the most enjoyable to you, "this" or "that"?

MYSELF: Well, it all depends on my mood, of course, but doing "that" is usually more enjoyable to me than doing "this."

ME: How interesting! However, if one was inspired to take a formidable step beyond the restrictive confines of the particular question at hand, and subsequently endeavored to assume a more broadly metaphysical view, one might be strongly inclined to regard both "this" and "that" as being merely different ways of giving casual expression to the same worldly delusion.

MYSELF: Yes, one might, if one wanted to be a pompous twit.

ME: Are you saying that I am a pompous twit?

MYSELF: If the shoe fits, wear it.

ME: What a bloody nerve!

MYSELF: Well, are you saying that you are not a pompous twit?

ME: I refuse to dignify that question with an answer.

MYSELF: Tell me, do you ever get tired of being so high and mighty?

ME: I'm not answering that question, either.

MYSELF: There's no need to be so cross. After all, you started it.

ME: No, I didn't. You started it.

MYSELF: No, it was you who started it, when you used all those fancy words.

ME: I was merely making an attempt to elevate the tone of our discussion. It may come as a surprise to someone as intellectually slothful as yourself, but some of us do strive to attain a higher mentality.

MYSELF: Well, some of us do not.

ME: That is quite apparent.

MYSELF: What you see is what you get.

ME: You know, even if one chooses to be a dolt, as you so clearly do, there's no need to be impudent about it.

MYSELF: There are times when being impudent is the best response.

ME: If your goal is to be impudent, then I would say that you have succeeded.

MYSELF: Why, thank you.

ME: You come across as being an extremely small-minded person.

MYSELF: Do I?

ME: Yes, you do. Extremely small-minded.

MYSELF: Well, that can't be helped. A small mind is better than no mind at all.

ME: Are you implying that I have no mind?

MYSELF: I'm not implying anything. I'm saying it outright: you have no mind.

ME: How dare you say that! I most certainly do have a mind!

MYSELF: Well, if you do, you must be keeping it hidden.

ME: I think it is beyond dispute that I possess a rather formidable mind.

MYSELF: Spouting a lot of half-baked rubbish is not the same as having a mind, not the same at all. To my mind, what you are is mindless.

ME: You fancy yourself to be something of a wit, don't you?

MYSELF: I suppose it is true that I fancy myself, but I shall leave it to others to judge my ability as a wit.

ME: That's all very well, but must you be so thoroughly disagreeable?

MYSELF: No, I don't suppose it's absolutely necessary for me to be disagreeable, but it's more fun that way.

ME: Oh, I see. To you, being disagreeable is "more fun."

MYSELF: A lot more fun.

ME: How utterly childish!

MYSELF: Better to be childish, utterly or otherwise, than to be a pompous twit.

ME: That's quite enough from you!

MYSELF: Is it?

ME: Yes, it certainly is!

MYSELF: Oh, good. I was worried that it might not be nearly enough.

ME: I'm not going to stand here and take this sort of abuse!

MYSELF: I can get you a chair, if you'd rather sit down.

ME: No, thank you, that won't be necessary.

MYSELF: Please yourself.

ME: This is a waste of my time. I've got better things to do.

MYSELF: Have you?

ME: Yes, if you must know.

MYSELF: What sort of things?

ME: Things that are none of your business. Things that require the ability to consider the world in a serious manner. Things that would not be of the slightest interest to someone of a small-minded disposition.

MYSELF: Someone, meaning me?

ME: Yes. Someone, meaning you.

MYSELF: It's not as if I actually care.

ME: Whether you care or not, is of no concern to me.

MYSELF: You just can't help being a pompous twit, can you?

ME: You said it again. That's it. I'm leaving.

MYSELF: So soon?

ME: Yes, and don't imagine for one moment that you can stop me.

MYSELF: I wouldn't even imagine it for less than one moment.

ME: Nothing can prevent me from making a quick departure!

MYSELF: If you must, you must.

ME: I mean it!

MYSELF: Yes, you certainly appear to mean it.

ME: I'm determined to go!

MYSELF: That would appear to be true.

ME: Once I'm determined, I always follow through!

MYSELF: Always? How impressive!

ME: I'm going!

MYSELF: Oh, are you still here?

ME: Goodbye!

MYSELF: Don't slam the door when you go!

ME: I won't!

MYSELF: Such an excitable fellow. He needs to take a deep breath and calm down.

ME: I heard that!

More from Michael Collins Morton

Covid-19 Poses a Grievous Danger to Every Human Life

President Trump's War Against Iran Is Proving to Be a Hugely Expensive Undertaking

My Mother's Son (Part 3)

An Impartial Consideration of God, Offered in the Form of Eleven Questions and Eleven Answers

An Unpublished Letter to The Guardian Regarding the Pandemic of Covid-19