A Small Protest Against the Rampant Foolishness of Our Witless Age

It is considered likely (by those who make it their particular business to consider things) that people in the future will spend a lot of time looking at the past and wondering what in the hell went wrong. In addition, it is certain to be widely presumed (quite correctly, and for reasons too copious to be listed here) that nearly every person in the 21st century slumbered round the clock and therefore was unaware of how badly things were going, or was fully awake, but blithely living in a mode of complete brainlessness. What else, those forlorn inhabitants of tomorrow will unhappily say to one another, could explain the wretched condition of the world? How, they are bound to ask, as they warily cast their eyes about them, grimly surveying an unwholesome world in which everything is made of cheap plastic and the narrow course of human progress is surreptitiously controlled by supercomputers, could our hallowed forebears ever have permitted such a woeful state of affairs to happen?

In an earnest attempt at staving off what clearly appears to be the stark inevitability of such a vile likelihood, I hereby announce that I, Mr. Archibald P. Hopswiddle, intend to stage my own small protest against the rampant foolishness of our witless age. I shall undertake to give vocal expression to my opposition through the direct means of pausing once an hour, wherever I might be, and firmly declaring, to no one in particular, "These damnable follies have gone on for too long and must be stopped, here and now, or there most assuredly will be an injurious host of highly undesirable results, which will not be enjoyable in the least!" With those humble sentiments as my only weapon, and with an honest purpose as my only shield, I will seek to commence a stalwart fight to prevent the final curtain from being dropped on what little remains of our human freedom.

It shall be, as I have said, a fairly small protest, but I am steadfastly hopeful that it will, at least to some degree, help to turn the tide. Our predicament is, by any sound reckoning, fast approaching the verge of being entirely unsupportable. Something must be done, and it would hardly be going overboard to say that it cannot be done too soon. I think you will agree (if not, then you can go to blazes) that each of us, every man, woman, and child, must attempt to do his or her part in urgently working toward a more favorable outcome, lest the current situation, in which we daily find ourselves becoming further enslaved by the iniquitous forces of corporate technocracy, should continue apace and grow even worse. I, for one, intend to do everything within my power to offer a suitable measure of dogged resistance. That is, until they come to take me away. (Which probably will be quite soon.)