The Purpose of Life

A chance meeting between two strangers on a city street.

FIRST MAN: I beg your pardon, sir, but I am in urgent need of some information. Could you help me? 

SECOND MAN: Yes, of course. What would you like to know?

FIRST MAN: What is the purpose of life?

SECOND MAN: The purpose of life?

FIRST MAN: Yes, the purpose of life. I want to know the purpose of life.

SECOND MAN: I can see that you're not one for beating around the bush.

FIRST MAN: No, I believe that it's best to be direct.

SECOND MAN: Yes, I agree, it generally is best to be direct. So, you want to know the purpose of life? That's a tricky one. I hardly know how to approach it.

FIRST MAN: I have no doubt that it is, as you say, a tricky one. Nevertheless, it would be most helpful to me if you would make an attempt to provide the information that I have requested.

SECOND MAN: Well, to be completely honest, I'm not certain that I can claim to know the purpose of life.

FIRST MAN: Oh dear, I was hoping that you would be able to tell me. When I first saw you, I took you to be someone who would know the purpose of life.

SECOND MAN: Oh, did you? Well, I suppose it could be said that I do know a thing or two, but, I mean, the purpose of life, that's a tricky one.

FIRST MAN: Yes, you already said that.

SECOND MAN: I hardly know how to approach it.

FIRST MAN: You already said that, too.

SECOND MAN: Oh, did I?

FIRST MAN: Yes, you did. Couldn't you at least try to tell me?

SECOND MAN: Yes, I suppose I could, if it actually means that much to you.

FIRST MAN: Oh, I can promise you, sir, that it means a great deal to me.

SECOND MAN: Well, then, I would say that the purpose of life is...

FIRST MAN: Yes, go on...

SECOND MAN: I would say that the purpose of life is...

FIRST MAN: What? What is it that you are trying to say?

SECOND MAN: I'm sorry, I lost my train of thought.

FIRST MAN: You were going to tell me the purpose of life.

SECOND MAN: Yes, that's right. The purpose of life...

FIRST MAN: The sooner you tell me, sir, the better.

SECOND MAN: Well, I would say that the purpose of life is… the purpose of life is...

FIRST MAN: Yes, yes, I'm listening...

SECOND MAN: What were we talking about?

FIRST MAN: Did you lose your train of thought again?

SECOND MAN: Yes, I'm afraid I did.

FIRST MAN: Perhaps I didn't pose my inquiry in the correct way.

SECOND MAN: No, it's not that.

FIRST MAN: If you prefer, I could submit my inquiry to someone else.

SECOND MAN: No, that won't be necessary. I think I can handle it. I'm not entirely without intellect, you know. Just give me another moment.

FIRST MAN: Could you please get on with it, sir? I'm in something of a hurry.

SECOND MAN: All right, in my opinion, which I do not pretend to be more insightful than the opinion of any other person, I would say that the purpose of life is... the purpose of life is... the purpose of life is...

FIRST MAN: You've lost your train of thought again, haven't you?

SECOND MAN: Yes, it seems that I have. Whenever I try to express my view in regard to the purpose of life, my mind starts to wander.

FIRST MAN: Pardon me for saying so, sir, but I think you need to get a grip on yourself.

SECOND MAN: Yes, you're absolutely right, I do need to get a grip on myself. I don't understand what's wrong with me today. I'm all at loose ends. I don't usually find it so difficult to express my thoughts.

FIRST MAN: Well, it's not necessary for you to get overwrought about it.

SECOND MAN: No, I suppose not.

FIRST MAN: After all, it's only the purpose of life that we're discussing.

SECOND MAN: Yes, only the purpose of life!

FIRST MAN: However, I still would like to have a response to my inquiry.

SECOND MAN: Yes, I suppose I do owe you that much.

FIRST MAN: Yes, you do.

SECOND MAN: I'll try one more time. The purpose of life, wasn't it?

FIRST MAN: Yes.

SECOND MAN: All right, here I go. The purpose of life. I'm not a philosopher, but, having considered your inquiry with due care and with due seriousness, my response to you is as follows. The purpose of life is... the purpose of life is...

FIRST MAN: Not again?

SECOND MAN: I'm afraid so.

FIRST MAN: I must say, your mind certainly is prone to wandering.

SECOND MAN: I'm sorry. I feel so ashamed. Please forgive me. What more can I say?

FIRST MAN: You could tell me the purpose of life.

SECOND MAN: Well, you see, that appears to be the problem, doesn't it? No matter how hard I try, I can't succeed in saying anything about the purpose of life.

FIRST MAN: Are you trying to tell me that life has no purpose?

SECOND MAN: No, not at all. I would never presume to say that life has no purpose. I'm just having trouble getting my thoughts together.

FIRST MAN: Frankly, sir, this is becoming a bit tiresome.

SECOND MAN: Well, I'm not enjoying it, either, but you're the one who started it.

FIRST MAN: I clearly made a mistake in thinking that you might be able to help me. If I had known that you would have so much difficulty in telling me the purpose of life, I never would have asked you.

SECOND MAN: You don't need to be so disagreeable! I'm trying to respond to your inquiry!

FIRST MAN: Perhaps you are, but honesty compels me to say that, so far, you have not been much help. Besides, it is you who is being disagreeable.

SECOND MAN: That's a cheap shot! I am not being disagreeable! I just find your inquiry to be a little confusing, that's all.

FIRST MAN: More than a little, I would say.

SECOND MAN: I think this particular discussion has expended itself. I'm a reasonable person, and I'm quite willing to be of help, but I can't spend all day talking at length, to no apparent end, trying to explain the purpose of life to a stranger.

FIRST MAN: What a lame excuse! You're just saying that because you don't want to tell me the purpose of life.

SECOND MAN: No, that's not true. You're being manifestly unfair. Why would I not want to tell you? Believe me, if I could tell you the purpose of life, I would. In any case, I think this discussion should be concluded without further delay.

FIRST MAN: Yes, that seems best, but I do have one more inquiry.

SECOND MAN: One more? Will this ordeal never end?

FIRST MAN: One more, and then I'll go on my way and leave you alone.

SECOND MAN: Oh, all right. What is it?

FIRST MAN: Do you have the current time?

SECOND MAN: No, I'm sorry, but I don't have a watch.

FIRST MAN: Somehow, I'm not surprised.

More from Michael Collins Morton

Covid-19 Poses a Grievous Danger to Every Human Life

President Trump's War Against Iran Is Proving to Be a Hugely Expensive Undertaking

My Mother's Son (Part 3)

An Impartial Consideration of God, Offered in the Form of Eleven Questions and Eleven Answers

An Unpublished Letter to The Guardian Regarding the Pandemic of Covid-19