A Change of Name

For as long as those who knew Balthazar Dorpington could remember, there had never been any question that he was, in all the ways that truly mattered, a man among men. He had always been a manly man, through and through, as rough and as tough as any man could hope to be, so it came as something of a surprise to everyone when he cheerily announced that he intended to change his name from Balthazar to Priscilla.

"I think 'Priscilla' is such a pretty name, don't you?" Balthazar asked one of his closest friends. "Much prettier than 'Balthazar,' which, to my mind, is not pretty at all."

"Yes, I suppose 'Priscilla' is the sort of name that generally would be regarded as pretty," his friend replied. "However, in my capacity as one of your closest friends, I must tell you that, in my opinion, which I am certain is likely to be shared by most people, 'Priscilla' is not a proper name for a manly man such as yourself." 

"Oh, fiddlesticks!" Balthazar said. "I think you're being quite narrow-minded. My sister, Amelia, has a pretty name, and I want to have one, too."

"In case you've forgotten, let me remind you that your sister is a woman, and therefore what is fitting for her is not necessarily fitting for you," his friend said.

"Well, I'm sorry, but I think your opinion is much too old-fashioned," Balthazar said. "I don't see any reason why, even as a manly man, I can't have a pretty name."

When Balthazar formally took the name of Priscilla, his friends were not pleased, and his family was greatly appalled, but he did not care. He also did not cease to be a manly man. As Priscilla, he continued in his manly ways, and later settled down with a comely woman who wore a pink ribbon in her hair and went by the name of Brutus. After they married, they had two children: a boy, Florence, and a girl, Roger.