J. Tarnable Crudsworth Reveals Too Much

My name is J. Tarnable Crudsworth. That is my name, and I will make no attempt to deny it. I could tell you more about myself, perhaps even a great deal more, if I happened to be so inclined, but I figure that it is none of your damned business, so I am adamantly determined to go no further. After all, why should I cater to your idle curiosity?

On second thought, perhaps I should give you a little more information about myself. As I have already disclosed, my name is J. Tarnable Crudsworth, but here is something else: I am not, and never have been, a potato. Nor am I a forgetful, Presbyterian trombonist who grew up on a dairy farm near Moldy Cheese, Wisconsin.

Also, I am not a Marxist glass blower with a bad haircut, or a Rosicrucian accountant from a small town in Switzerland, or a former bricklayer who speaks twenty-six languages, or a shy marmoset with a wooden leg, or a statue of Aristotle. No, I can truthfully say that I am not, and in all likelihood, I am never going to be, any of those things.

In addition, I am not the tallest man in the world (or the shortest). I am not a bald, bellicose gambler who lost an enormous fortune as a result of being hopeless at pinochle. I am not, contrary to the many falsehoods that have been maliciously spread, a famous painting by Leonardo da Vinci, a flock of geese, or a bowl of fruit.

It should be added that I am not, and have no intention of ever being, a lovelorn banker with an odd hobby, a Viennese aviator who sees double after drinking half a glass of lemonade, a teenage boy with a wild desire to prove that the earth is flat, or a foulmouthed ballerina with two right feet. I am not the founder of a new religion, either.

I think it probably would be best if I stop now, for I fear that I may have revealed too much. I have always believed that it is advisable to maintain a certain amount of mystery in regard to oneself. It is wisest to allow people to make an educated guess. By the way, just to keep things straight, I am not the person who is writing these words.

More from Michael Collins Morton

An Impartial Consideration of God, Offered in the Form of Eleven Questions and Eleven Answers

Artificial Intelligence Is an Enemy of Human Values

Israel and Palestine: A Bitter Conflict with Only One Morally Acceptable Solution

Eric Clapton at the Cow Palace, July 1974

Ignatius Thrumbler Provides the Answers